- Five days ago a meteor shower began in the skies above Bloodcove and Sargova along the the western coast of Garund. On the third night there was a massive fireball that streaked across the sky to the east and seemed to have impacted somewhere in the Mwangi Expanse. Divination has been unable to pinpoint the exact location but locals have found bits of strange rock and metal in small craters.
- Marik is leading a large Pathfinder expedition and the group has been selected to accompany him as assistants. This expedition will count as their trial and they will be awarded as full Pathfinder membership upon successful return.
- The selection of these initiates is the last of the preparations and upon their acceptance the group immediately departs for the docks. Three ships have been chartered to ferry the equipment and personnel for this expedition. The group is assigned to The Steel Harpoon, a retired navy sloop carrying primarily cargo, though a few . The party members are the only Pathfinders on board. The other two ships are The Bent Copper, a merchant sloop, and The Silver Griffon, a well-armed galleon and flagship of the fleet.
- Trip is uneventful for first couple of weeks until the fleet reaches the Eye of Abendengo which has flared into a cycle of unprecedented activity. The bounds of which have spread over the Sodden Lands and the Shackles. The ship captains are forced to brave the full effects of the hurricane instead of skirting the edge as planned.
- Caught in the grips of the hurricane, the fleet is caught unawares when a black ship with black sails appears, back lit by jagged bolts of lightning. Suddenly the fleet is assailed by repeated lightning strikes.
- The lightning strikes seemed to be targeting the mast and rigging of the ship with repeated strikes hitting the same spots.
- A particularly large wave crashes over the ship, depositing 3 Sahuagin and a Water Elemental on board.
- Brenya Thunderhorn and Coraan fend off the Sahuagin assault while below decks Shaco and Vanek manage to defeat the water elemental with minor injuries.
- Once the battle is over everyone on the deck is able to witness as massive tentacles as long as the ship reach up from the icy depths and drag The Silver Griffon down below the waves. The black ship disappears from sight behind the massive waves and is not seen again.
- The hurricane does not relent and The Bent Copper is forced to be abandoned due to damage from the storms and the battle as well as loss of life. Only a handful of sailors make it on board The Steel Harpoon, the other expedition members having lost their life to storm or attack.
- A week later The Steel Harpoon limps into Bloodcove bay and weighs anchor. The party is now left cut off from return to Absalom until the storm has abated, the ship is battered and in desperate need of repair, and most of the cargo is ruined.
- The party makes contact with Adir Hathren, the operator of the local Pathfinder Society chapter house. He is a jovial man, balding and definitely past his prime. He lost one of his legs during an expedition into the Mwangi years ago and now his Pathfinding days are done. He states that in preparation for their arrival the chapter house has plenty of space to house the remains of the expedition (the party) and whatever meager supplies remain from the ship. He even has a few leads on where to start.
- Following up on the first lead takes the group to the Sweet Water Plantation and a meeting with Consul Xandric Vellus who asks that a favor be performed before he allows access to the impact site.
- He gives the group Quest: Kill the raiding kech’s.
The Ruins of Mwangi
Adventure Log Two: The time after the beginning